Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JMS JMS is offline

Default Tomatoes Slow

My seedlings do seem to be much slower growing to a reasonable height
- ready to pot on in to 10 inch this year.

45 days since sowing.

23 days since potting on in to 3" pots.

Stood above heated sand bed in greenhouse.

I tend to let nearly dry out before watering.

I never normally feed at all until flowering.

Comments? or Suggestion please.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 01 May 2010 12:07:03 +0100, JMS
wrote:

My seedlings do seem to be much slower growing to a reasonable height
- ready to pot on in to 10 inch this year.

45 days since sowing.

23 days since potting on in to 3" pots.

Stood above heated sand bed in greenhouse.

I tend to let nearly dry out before watering.

I never normally feed at all until flowering.

Comments? or Suggestion please.

It depends to some extent what compost they are in atm
but I would have thought that if they are still in pots over heated
sand, they may well be too dry and too hot.

Mine have been planted in to greenhouse borders in an unheated
greenhouse for 2 weeks. They were on their second potting (in 3"
pots) I planted them as deep as possible (up to their first true
leaves) and they are now taking off fast, all at least 12-15" tall and
I can't keep up with the side shoots.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 02-05-2010, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
wrote:

My seedlings do seem to be much slower growing to a reasonable height
- ready to pot on in to 10 inch this year.

45 days since sowing.

23 days since potting on in to 3" pots.

Stood above heated sand bed in greenhouse.

I tend to let nearly dry out before watering.

I never normally feed at all until flowering.

Comments? or Suggestion please.

It depends to some extent what compost they are in atm
but I would have thought that if they are still in pots over heated
sand, they may well be too dry and too hot.

Mine have been planted in to greenhouse borders in an unheated
greenhouse for 2 weeks. They were on their second potting (in 3"
pots) I planted them as deep as possible (up to their first true
leaves) and they are now taking off fast, all at least 12-15" tall and
I can't keep up with the side shoots.

Planting up to the first leaves, not heard that before, will try it.

Mine are now outside (no greenhouse and they outgrew the kitchen), all
around 8" high. Probably have to bring them in tonight though.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 May 2010 09:27:40 +0100, Mike Buckley
wrote:

In message , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
wrote:

[...]

I've always done that. When I pot on from the first pots to 3" pots
I do the same. I put the root ball directly into the new pot and
infill around that to bury the roots deeply.

Planting out as I described earlier. The buried part of the stem
quickly produces new roots and you get an enhanced root system.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/2010 10:26 AM, ®óñ© © ²°¹° wrote:
On Sun, 2 May 2010 09:27:40 +0100, Mike
wrote:

In , ®óñ© © ²°¹°
writes
wrote:

[...]

/Now/ you tell me, the very day after I planted mine out! Ah well, I'll
do another one and compare the difference.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

Old 07-05-2010, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Jim A contains these words:
\snip\
Planting out as I described earlier. The buried part of the stem
quickly produces new roots and you get an enhanced root system.

/Now/ you tell me, the very day after I planted mine out! Ah well, I'll
do another one and compare the difference.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride

You will find that the buried stem produces roots. Toms are a vine and
naturally trail along the floor, rooting as they go.

Dob your sideshoots into the ground too. They will also root and, if
early enough, will give you another truss of tomatoes before the season
is over.

--
Compo

Lotus Pond is Looking Mighty Slow Nedra Ponds 14 23-04-2003 06:20 PM
[IBC] Full Moon = Slow List John NJ Bonsai 3 20-03-2003 05:56 PM
OT - Read em slow RichToyBox Ponds 0 04-03-2003 02:28 AM
Slow Germinating Tomatoes? Fleemo Gardening 5 03-03-2003 07:15 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM