Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Mark Trueman

Default PMDD in UK / BBA

I'll probably get some flak over my comments as Flourish seems to be
hugely popular in the US, but I'm curious to hear if anyone else has
had a similar experience with it.

Thanks for your input Wayne. It appears to be difficult to get hold of
flourish in this country anyway, I don't think Shirley aquatics sell it any
more (as far as I can tell from their website) and I cant find any other
place that stocks it. I've ordered from aquatics online before and found
them to be excellent so I will try the Kent stuff. I'd actually looked at
buying that stuff before, now I will definitely get some.

My only question is about the Kent stuff. They also do a "Plant Growth
developer" which is described as,

"This product provides bio-available nitrogen, magnesium and micronutrients
for lush freshwater plant growth . Contains no phosphates to cause unwanted
algae growth"

I see it provides magnesium, is this something I need to add if I only use
Kent Freshwater Plant Supplement? If I need to provide it then what trace
element am I after, something with Mg in it I assume. Actually, reading the
details on the Kent website, it says that FPS contains magnesium so I assume
that it contains enough Mg and will suffice on its own?

Over the next week or so I am going to do the following, so any advice as to
anything I could do to improve matters as I go along would be useful. Maybe
I've got it all sussed now though. Hopefully!! As the large majority of my
plants are now coated in at least a small amount of bba, I intend to remove
all my plants and do a bleach treatment on them. I'm also going to do the
same to my bogwood, rocks and the filter/heater parts. This should kill off
all the algae that is attached (although I realise that there will still be
algal spores (or whatever the correct name is) in the water column). I'm
also going to buy a large amount of plants from an online store and try to
arrange them a bit better; my current setup is a bit too "standard" in that
its mostly symmetrical, something that I now know is not particularly
pleasing to the eye. (this is my first ever tank after all). I also think I
might need some more plants, I lost a lot of foliage from cutting back the
bba covered leaves.

Then I will put the plants back in, set up the CO2 and start using PMDD,
hopefully with success!! I'll get some before, during and after photos and
stick them on a website, along with this correspondence if that is ok with
everyone. BBA is the scourge of many aquarists (especially in the UK) and
ive learned a lot from you guys so it would be great to be able to get this
info available to more people.

Thanks again for your help

Mark