Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Overview of Square Foot Gardening

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
As someone with limited sun space, square foot gardening has some
appeal. Looking at the planting density charts, they look a lot like
suggested plant to plant spacing for normal gardening. The difference
appears to be that row spacing is thrown out.

The spacing that is sensible depends on resource competition. If the
soil has good texture and holds nutrients and water well you can exceed
the density usually given on seed packets etc. If sunlight is not
strong don't go overboard as that will be the limiting factor.

I think sunlight will be my limiting factor. Good to know the package
directions are for fair conditions.

I've been steadily working to improve the soil by amending it (a lot
of amendments) and putting some worms to work. And getting rid of as
much Georgia red clay as I can as it is just about impermeable. I
should make a pond, or a pot!

I'm not sure I see many advantages in using raised beds over a well
prepared normal bed.

1) Drainage, very useful in heavy soils
2) Increased depth of soil, with limited top soil you can pile the dirt
off the paths up to give extra depth
3) More accessible, high sides and a flat top to the sides to make a
seat can extend gardening to those who cannot bend or kneel comfortably

Thanks. I can see now where SFG could be very helpful with the soil I
had! Good soil is a precious and sometimes rare commodity.

There's a community center nearby that set up a number of raised beds.
At the time, I wanted to talk with someone connected with it, but never
could find anyone. In retrospect, I see that a garden without direction,
must fail. Only weeds were grown, although much was planned and much was
bought.

Jeff

I would think that with my lack of late afternoon
to evening sun that the increased density due to the reduced row
spacing would yield less total sun per plant.

Yes

It looks to me that the
real advantages are primarily in water usage, along with easier care.
That's not a big deal for me as I have the drippers and mulch ready,
and the plot is well weeded.

Not entirely

I've been moving plants from seed starters to small pots and
gradually putting these in the ground as they achieve some size. So,
it's not too late to give SFG a try, but I'm not convinced it's worth
my effort. Differing opinions?

Jeff

David