Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Overview of Square Foot Gardening

As someone with limited sun space, square foot gardening has some
appeal. Looking at the planting density charts, they look a lot like
suggested plant to plant spacing for normal gardening. The difference
appears to be that row spacing is thrown out.

I'm not sure I see many advantages in using raised beds over a well
prepared normal bed. I would think that with my lack of late afternoon
to evening sun that the increased density due to the reduced row spacing
would yield less total sun per plant. It looks to me that the real
advantages are primarily in water usage, along with easier care. That's
not a big deal for me as I have the drippers and mulch ready, and the
plot is well weeded.

I've been moving plants from seed starters to small pots and
gradually putting these in the ground as they achieve some size. So,
it's not too late to give SFG a try, but I'm not convinced it's worth my
effort. Differing opinions?

Jeff

Old 02-05-2010, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
-- Janet Kilburn Phillips

The advantage of raised beds may be mostly to older backs.

Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets
used to it.*
-- Synonymous

It also makes it easier for excess water to run off, leaving the bed
warmer.

I know from nuthin' about SFG, but in general, it is a bad idea to have
leaves overlapping. The saying about peppers "that they should hold
hands" (just touch), I think applies to other plants too. Sunlight
hitting the ground, is sunlight that isn't making glucose.

Let us know how your foray into SFG works out.
--
- Billy
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:
As someone with limited sun space, square foot gardening has some
appeal. Looking at the planting density charts, they look a lot like
suggested plant to plant spacing for normal gardening. The difference
appears to be that row spacing is thrown out.

The spacing that is sensible depends on resource competition. If the soil
has good texture and holds nutrients and water well you can exceed the
density usually given on seed packets etc. If sunlight is not strong don't
go overboard as that will be the limiting factor.

I'm not sure I see many advantages in using raised beds over a well
prepared normal bed.

1) Drainage, very useful in heavy soils
2) Increased depth of soil, with limited top soil you can pile the dirt off
the paths up to give extra depth
3) More accessible, high sides and a flat top to the sides to make a seat
can extend gardening to those who cannot bend or kneel comfortably

I would think that with my lack of late afternoon
to evening sun that the increased density due to the reduced row
spacing would yield less total sun per plant.

Yes

It looks to me that the
real advantages are primarily in water usage, along with easier care.
That's not a big deal for me as I have the drippers and mulch ready,
and the plot is well weeded.

Not entirely

I've been moving plants from seed starters to small pots and
gradually putting these in the ground as they achieve some size. So,
it's not too late to give SFG a try, but I'm not convinced it's worth
my effort. Differing opinions?

Jeff

David

Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I've heard about this light sharing arrangement between corn and pole
beans. At least it does no harm to the corn. I wonder if there are not
other light symbiotic relationships. I see no harm in letting the
cucurbits intrude on the tomatoes, what harm could there be, there's
sunlight hitting the ground there. The cucurbits could run off if need be.

http://www.gardensablaze.com/Compani...anionYield.htm

list marigold and carrots as compatible with peppers. Seems to me they
all crave light and only the peppers would be happy. It would seem most
herbs would be happier under the peppers.

I'm thinking the Gardens Blaze link has more to do with chemical
compatibility, perhaps soil preferences. Reminds me of that Daffodil who
fends off all comers while looking dazzling.

BTW, thanks for all the info on soil structure, it'll take me some
time to get through it!

Let us know how your foray into SFG works out.

I've got a short unused driveway, but I'm thinking containers, more
than frames. Easier to reclaim the driveway, at least. Although also
easier for someone to drive off with my garden!

The next project is more likely to be the vacant overgrown lot across
the street. I don't mind the overgrown (happy hunting ground for the
cats), but I'm thinking berry patch. Maybe wildflowers. Wild
strawberries thrive against the retaining wall, maybe move some
commercial pups over... All my bricks and stone came from there, I
should put something better back.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:
As someone with limited sun space, square foot gardening has some
appeal. Looking at the planting density charts, they look a lot like
suggested plant to plant spacing for normal gardening. The difference
appears to be that row spacing is thrown out.

The spacing that is sensible depends on resource competition. If the
soil has good texture and holds nutrients and water well you can exceed
the density usually given on seed packets etc. If sunlight is not
strong don't go overboard as that will be the limiting factor.

I think sunlight will be my limiting factor. Good to know the package
directions are for fair conditions.

I've been steadily working to improve the soil by amending it (a lot
of amendments) and putting some worms to work. And getting rid of as
much Georgia red clay as I can as it is just about impermeable. I
should make a pond, or a pot!

I'm not sure I see many advantages in using raised beds over a well
prepared normal bed.

1) Drainage, very useful in heavy soils
2) Increased depth of soil, with limited top soil you can pile the dirt
off the paths up to give extra depth
3) More accessible, high sides and a flat top to the sides to make a
seat can extend gardening to those who cannot bend or kneel comfortably

Thanks. I can see now where SFG could be very helpful with the soil I
had! Good soil is a precious and sometimes rare commodity.

There's a community center nearby that set up a number of raised beds.
At the time, I wanted to talk with someone connected with it, but never
could find anyone. In retrospect, I see that a garden without direction,
must fail. Only weeds were grown, although much was planned and much was
bought.

Jeff

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I wish you luck, the attempt was a bust for me (summer squash amongst
the tomatoes), but different times, different places, good luck. I've
****ed and moaned about being on the north side of a hill, but some's
got it worse. We all try to maximize our return, and what works for me,
may not work for you, and vice versa.

http://www.gardensablaze.com/Compani...anionYield.htm

list marigold and carrots as compatible with peppers. Seems to me they
all crave light and only the peppers would be happy. It would seem most
herbs would be happier under the peppers.

Not Basil, and certainly not hyssop. If you want marigolds for your
table plant them among the peppers, same with the carrots. Among my
peppers, I plant only peppers. I may be wrong. Again, "There are no
gardening mistakes, only experiments."
-- Janet Kilburn Phillips
YMMV

I'm thinking the Gardens Blaze link has more to do with chemical
compatibility, perhaps soil preferences. Reminds me of that Daffodil who
fends off all comers while looking dazzling.

Yes, but eating daffodils, isn't recommended. I'm afraid I didn't look
at the Gardens Blaze site.

BTW, thanks for all the info on soil structure, it'll take me some
time to get through it!

The main idea is, to make a health soil environment that will nourish
the plant, without poisoning the environment, and will block out
pathogens.

Let us know how your foray into SFG works out.

I've got a short unused driveway, but I'm thinking containers, more
than frames. Easier to reclaim the driveway, at least. Although also
easier for someone to drive off with my garden!

Nothing wrong with containers. Yesterday, I was mixing new potting soil
into some pots that I used last year, when I came across earthworms. I
stopped mixing immediately, and there after treated the pots as I would
any other soil.

Basil always seems to produce better for us in pots. I suspect some
other plants would to. The soil will be warmer, but pots really make you
pay attention to the watering schedule.

The next project is more likely to be the vacant overgrown lot across
the street. I don't mind the overgrown (happy hunting ground for the
cats), but I'm thinking berry patch. Maybe wildflowers. Wild
strawberries thrive against the retaining wall, maybe move some
commercial pups over... All my bricks and stone came from there, I
should put something better back.

Jeff

Your hearts in the right place, if you fail, no blame. Maybe give the
cats some catnip. My cats don't go crazy over it, but they do like to
take their siestas next to it. Otherwise, the world can always use more
beauty. Fraise de bois, always the best.
--
- Billy
Old 06-05-2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:
[...]

The best thing about it for me is that by not having unplanted area between
rows, weeds don't have nearly the chance to go crazy once the crop is growing.