Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
dahlias-organic dahlias-organic is offline

Default Dahlia grower new to group -- is this moderated? Allowpromotions?

On May 4, 6:12*pm, Bill who putters wrote:

I think genuine involvement will get you much further than empty spamming.

David

*I agree. *What can Al offer ?

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
*What use one more wake up call? *

Bill and David: My real passions lie in other areas. The dahlia
enterprise is a backdrop for a foray into community development;
social and political activism at the grass roots (with a book on the
way). We need a new paradigm. But politics is a very tough arena --
nasty in fact. I'd like to see more people connecting with the earth.
Many folks garden as a hobby, but we need people who are willing to
try farming for a living (farming the way we used to -- not the
commodity, monocrop, factory operations that we have now). So I'm
trying to set the example by doing. Organic flowers is just a niche.
But a beautiful one, and one that I enjoy. Not many people do it,
because it tough to make an actual living at it. At least, if you're
focused on a local market. My market here in rural SE Iowa is quite
small, so I'm feeling my way into this whole thing.

IN terms of contributing as a gardener, I have no doubt most folks on
this board are far more knowledgeable, but I will certainly keep my
ears open and throw in my 2 cents if I think it has any value. A long
time ago, when I used to read this group fairly regularly, there were
some real experts who came online -- professorial types. I wonder if
any of them are still around?

Here's my tip of the week. Just recently heard a lady named Elaine
Ingham speak. She's an expert in compost, and the application of
compost tea. Listening to her, you come away believing that there is
absolutely *nothing* that can't be accomplished in the garden, or on
the farm, using compost tea (*correctly brewed*, I should add). Her
success stories are spectacular -- indeed, almost unbelievably so. And
on gigantic scales -- thousands of hectares! Boy is she ever
convincing, and obviously knows her biology! Her website is:
http://www.soilfoodweb.com

cheers
Al Gabis
www.DahliasOrganic.com