Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Irrigating Cucurbits

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I've been hand watering the young plants, but I think it's time to
set up the drip irrigation for the year. The cucurbits look like they
are ready to take off and the temps are in the 80's.

It seems to me that every other plant is going to be more tolerant of
how it is watered than the cukes. At least that's my experience! I have
a Rain Drip single time/frequency timer.

I wonder if I should water early, or just before the day heats up,
perhaps 10 AM. Or should I get a timer that lets you set more than one
specific time per day and water some in the afternoon when they are
getting beat on. I'll be away for a while, so I'd like to program the
best guess in. The soil seems to have average drainage and moisture
retention. Not too heavy and with some humus to loosen it up a bit. Much
better than last year when it was denser. Down 10" there is still a lot
of red clay.

Jeff

I like to water mid-morning, and get the plants hydrated before the
afternoon heat. How often do you water your plants and are your plants
mulched?

A thin layer of cypress blend mulch (light color). It's rained a good
bit lately, otherwise a drink in the morning and more later if they look
a bit droopy, not uncommon. But that is all handwatering about a half
gallon/plant. That seems like a lot to me for such young plants.

I think I'll set up the 1 gph drippers for 20 minutes, mid morning
tomorrow, and see what it looks like later.

I put in the drippers last year after the plants were full grown. I
was thinking that a young plant needs less water, but now I wonder if
the amount should be about the same as for a grown plant, as it's the
ground that needs to be moist.

On another note, it has been a fabulous year for flowers. The irises
have been standouts as were the azaleas and dogwoods. Hydrangeas that
did little last year are growing fast and roses that hid mostly last
year are in full bloom. Perhaps the very cold and wet winter...

Jeff