Old 06-05-2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Overview of Square Foot Gardening

Jeff Thies wrote:
As someone with limited sun space, square foot gardening has some
appeal. Looking at the planting density charts, they look a lot like
suggested plant to plant spacing for normal gardening. The difference
appears to be that row spacing is thrown out.

I'm not sure I see many advantages in using raised beds over a well
prepared normal bed. I would think that with my lack of late afternoon
to evening sun that the increased density due to the reduced row
spacing would yield less total sun per plant. It looks to me that the
real advantages are primarily in water usage, along with easier care.
That's not a big deal for me as I have the drippers and mulch ready,
and the plot is well weeded.

I've been moving plants from seed starters to small pots and
gradually putting these in the ground as they achieve some size. So,
it's not too late to give SFG a try, but I'm not convinced it's worth
my effort. Differing opinions?

The best thing about it for me is that by not having unplanted area between
rows, weeds don't have nearly the chance to go crazy once the crop is growing.