Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Lasagna Gardening In A Bucket

In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

Lasagna gardening seems very popular these days! Why not in a bucket
then? That will indeed be this years experiment for me. Last year I
put a tomato plant in a five gallon bucket. It done well at first
producing nice fruits, but as the season progressed, the fruits got
smaller and smaller. I came to the conclusion that all the nutrients
were being washed from the soil because plants in buckets need much more
frequent watering. This got me to thinking a bit. Why not try lasagna
gardening in a bucket? What I plan on doing is this: drill drainage
holes in the bottom of a five gallon pail. Then cut a ring of cardboard
to fit inside the bottom of the pail. I will then put a thin layer of
grass clippings followed by a layer of top soil, dehydrated cow manure,
compost and then granular slow release fertilizer. I will repeat this
until the pail is filled all in very thin layers. I will only water the
tomato plant very sparingly in the morning only when it looks a bit
wilted. Hey, if lasagna gardening works so well in a bed, why not in
a bucket? It's just on a smaller scale. Your opinions please

Rich

Lasagna gardening doesn't use chemferts, it counts on microbes feeding
the plants roots. What is water soluble is chemferts, and that is what
will be washed away. If you are going to do lasagna gardening in a
bucket, use potting soil to which you have added about 10-20% clay soil
by volume, cover with mulch, and plant. Fish emulsion every 2 weeks.
--
- Billy