Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Reseeding lawn evenly?

"james" wrote:

If you reseed your lawn, what is the proper way to cover the seeds with a
thin layer of soil so that the seeds can be kept moist and are not visible
to birds?

Not sure what you mean by "reseeding"... why would anyone reseed a
lawn... they either "seed" (new lawn) or "overseed" (build density).
When seeding a loose cover of hay will hinder birds from taking
seed... when overseeding one puts down excessive seed, some will be
lost to birds but so what, with proper irrigation most will germinate
quickly and survive. Birds will take some but actually most will be
lost to nocturnal rodents... also when grass seed is put down too
heavily (as most are wont to do) it will begin to compost, in heavily
seeded spots the seed will cook itself.

Last time I had the idea of seeding the lawn in 2-foot stripes so I can
shovel some soil aside before I spread the seed, and then sprinkle the soil
back on top of the seeds. However this results in stripes of lawn with
different grass density.

Some people says to rake the seeds into the soil. I tried that but some
seeds would still be visible, plus raking would disturb the distribution of
the seeds and may cause uneveness.

With a seeded lawn some uneveness can't be avoided, but so what,
within a short time grass will spread to fill in those small bare
spots. When seeding lawns less is more.

How do sod farms do it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroseeding