Old 09-05-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Reseeding lawn evenly?

If you reseed your lawn, what is the proper way to cover the seeds with a
thin layer of soil so that the seeds can be kept moist and are not visible
to birds?

Last time I had the idea of seeding the lawn in 2-foot stripes so I can
shovel some soil aside before I spread the seed, and then sprinkle the soil
back on top of the seeds. However this results in stripes of lawn with
different grass density.

Some people says to rake the seeds into the soil. I tried that but some
seeds would still be visible, plus raking would disturb the distribution of
the seeds and may cause uneveness.

Suggestion?
How do sod farms do it?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"james" wrote:

If you reseed your lawn, what is the proper way to cover the seeds with a
thin layer of soil so that the seeds can be kept moist and are not visible
to birds?

Not sure what you mean by "reseeding"... why would anyone reseed a
lawn... they either "seed" (new lawn) or "overseed" (build density).
When seeding a loose cover of hay will hinder birds from taking
seed... when overseeding one puts down excessive seed, some will be
lost to birds but so what, with proper irrigation most will germinate
quickly and survive. Birds will take some but actually most will be
lost to nocturnal rodents... also when grass seed is put down too
heavily (as most are wont to do) it will begin to compost, in heavily
seeded spots the seed will cook itself.

Last time I had the idea of seeding the lawn in 2-foot stripes so I can
shovel some soil aside before I spread the seed, and then sprinkle the soil
back on top of the seeds. However this results in stripes of lawn with
different grass density.

Some people says to rake the seeds into the soil. I tried that but some
seeds would still be visible, plus raking would disturb the distribution of
the seeds and may cause uneveness.

With a seeded lawn some uneveness can't be avoided, but so what,
within a short time grass will spread to fill in those small bare
spots. When seeding lawns less is more.

How do sod farms do it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroseeding
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 9 May 2010 08:37:13 -0700, "james" wrote:

If you reseed your lawn, what is the proper way to cover the seeds with a
thin layer of soil so that the seeds can be kept moist and are not visible
to birds?

Last time I had the idea of seeding the lawn in 2-foot stripes so I can
shovel some soil aside before I spread the seed, and then sprinkle the soil
back on top of the seeds. However this results in stripes of lawn with
different grass density.

Some people says to rake the seeds into the soil. I tried that but some
seeds would still be visible, plus raking would disturb the distribution of
the seeds and may cause uneveness.

Suggestion?
How do sod farms do it?

Grass seed (like most seeds) need to be in direct contact with soil.
If not, much will rot, carried off by ants, etc. If the area is not
too large, I like to sift garden soil over the seed but this is not
necessary. Raking in LIGHTLY is better than no raking at all--this
will not make the seed uneven. Protect the area with straw and keep
moist (water/mist every day or every other day). I can not think of
anything better than a layer of straw to protect the seed/seedlings.
Do not use hay.

[IMG] code is On

Reseeding Patchy Lawn - Advice Needed David Gibson United Kingdom 8 24-05-2004 12:09 AM
How to sow seeds evenly Gulph Gardening 13 04-05-2004 11:03 PM
How to sow seeds evenly - using a self made seed tape? eclectic Gardening 0 02-05-2004 09:03 PM
reseeding lawn Ni North Carolina 9 12-03-2004 04:02 AM
broadleaf weed killer and reseeding lawn Dee Gardening 3 09-08-2003 02:32 AM