Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Dahlia grower new to group -- is this moderated? Allow promotions?

On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:22:06 -0700 (PDT), dahlias-organic
wrote:

On May 4, 6:12*pm, Bill who putters wrote:

I think genuine involvement will get you much further than empty spamming.

David

*I agree. *What can Al offer ?

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
*What use one more wake up call? *

Bill and David: My real passions lie in other areas. The dahlia
enterprise is a backdrop for a foray into community development;
social and political activism at the grass roots (with a book on the
way). We need a new paradigm. But politics is a very tough arena --
nasty in fact. I'd like to see more people connecting with the earth.
Many folks garden as a hobby, but we need people who are willing to
try farming for a living (farming the way we used to -- not the
commodity, monocrop, factory operations that we have now). So I'm
trying to set the example by doing. Organic flowers is just a niche.
But a beautiful one, and one that I enjoy. Not many people do it,
because it tough to make an actual living at it. At least, if you're
focused on a local market. My market here in rural SE Iowa is quite
small, so I'm feeling my way into this whole thing.

My small experience with growing and selling organic flowers is that
none of the humans cared that they were organic. I applaud your
efforts!