Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aluckyguess aluckyguess is offline

Default Strawberries and slugs

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
Art Kesler wrote:

Get some Sluggo. Non-Toxic. Even OK to use with pets and kids
around. Not a poison. Good stuff. Stops slugs. They stop eating
and die. I've used it for years now.

Art

On Mon, 10 May 2010 17:56:08 -0700, "aluckyguess"
wrote:

I am having a problem with slugs and my strawberries, as soon as they
get
almost ready to pick these little slugs eat holes in them. What can I
do
without putting any poisons down?

I'll second that. Active ingredient is ferrous phosphate (iron phosphate
on container). It is non toxic to mammals (you and me and our pets,
unless you have a pet gastropod).
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/health...rous-phosphate
/index.html

Locally, you can get Sluggo at $10/lb., or Ortho Ecosense brand at
$5/lb. (found at Home Despot) Bill who putters got the straight poop
(chemical), and that worked out to $1/lb or so. We may have to threaten
to post a picture of him with his finger in his nose to get him to
divulge. Problem is it took a number of months, and many crises of faith
before it arrived.
--
- Billy

Thanks