Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Aubergines

"Christina Websell" wrote
vicky wrote in message
Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every
single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up buying
couple of plants.

Any advice?

I've never grown them myself but my aunt has an Indian gardener and he
grows them Ok in her greenhouse although the fruits don't get very big.
He tends to grow what he prefers, luckily she is an adventurous cook at
over 80.

All the ones I've seen in Indian markets there have been small varieties,
some striped white/red.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden