Old 09-05-2010, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Aubergines

Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up buying a
couple of plants.

Any advice?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

vicky wrote
Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every
single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up buying
couple of plants.

Any advice?

Not really, I just planted the seeds as normal, put them in a heated
propagator and left them germinate and grow until a reasonable size
,certainly past the first true leaf stage, repotted and left them in the
heated greenhouse for a bit then repotted into final pots, acclimatised then
to outside and away they went.
Lack of heat?
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-05-2010, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Any advice?

Not really, I just planted the seeds as normal, put them in a heated
propagator and left them germinate and grow until a reasonable size
,certainly past the first true leaf stage, repotted and left them in the
heated greenhouse for a bit then repotted into final pots, acclimatised then
to outside and away they went.
Lack of heat?

Could be. I always assume that if things get through germination they
aren't as nesh any more. But I guess I should bring them in a bit from the
slightly chilly window sill next year.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

A good idea. Aubergines like to be comfortable. I reckon tomatoes, chillies, sweet peppers and courgettes are much of a muchness at the seedling stage, and aubergines are the next stage up. They don't need it hotter, but they do want to stay comfortably warm.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every
single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up buying
couple of plants.

Any advice?

I've never grown them myself but my aunt has an Indian gardener and he grows
them Ok in her greenhouse although the fruits don't get very big.
He tends to grow what he prefers, luckily she is an adventurous cook at over
80.

Tina

Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote
vicky wrote in message
Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every
single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up buying
couple of plants.

Any advice?

I've never grown them myself but my aunt has an Indian gardener and he
grows them Ok in her greenhouse although the fruits don't get very big.
He tends to grow what he prefers, luckily she is an adventurous cook at
over 80.

All the ones I've seen in Indian markets there have been small varieties,
some striped white/red.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote
vicky wrote in message
[...]

These are the normal purple. I think he saves his own seed.
They are next-door neighbours and rather than have my aunt & uncle move away
as the garden got too big for them he volunteered to look after it for them.
He does of course, plant flowers and runner beans and leeks n stuff to keep
them happy but just cannot resist planting a big bed of wonderful juicy
garlic, and coriander, and methi, and chillies.
I wish he lived next to me - there is not a weed in their garden. His only
fault is that he prunes everything to bits regardless.
Tina

aubergines ex WGS Hamm United Kingdom 2 01-02-2005 09:26 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Edible Gardening 1 23-01-2004 12:12 PM
blossoms dropping off egg plants (aka aubergines) Richard Wright Australia 0 23-01-2004 06:02 AM
Aubergines Janice United Kingdom 8 16-09-2003 05:23 PM
Aubergines Jon United Kingdom 2 09-04-2003 09:56 PM