Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Aubergines

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote
vicky wrote in message
Anyone here any good with growing aubergines from seed?
I've tried and tried (I think this is the 4th or 5th year) and every
single
time they germinate fine, get to about the point where their first
proper
leaves are starting to show, then they die, or at least, stop growing.
I've tried different soils, different containers/pots/root trainers,
different locations. But they always end up the same and I end up
buying a
couple of plants.

Any advice?

I've never grown them myself but my aunt has an Indian gardener and he
grows them Ok in her greenhouse although the fruits don't get very big.
He tends to grow what he prefers, luckily she is an adventurous cook at
over 80.

All the ones I've seen in Indian markets there have been small varieties,
some striped white/red.

These are the normal purple. I think he saves his own seed.
They are next-door neighbours and rather than have my aunt & uncle move away
as the garden got too big for them he volunteered to look after it for them.
He does of course, plant flowers and runner beans and leeks n stuff to keep
them happy but just cannot resist planting a big bed of wonderful juicy
garlic, and coriander, and methi, and chillies.
I wish he lived next to me - there is not a weed in their garden. His only
fault is that he prunes everything to bits regardless.
Tina