Old 14-05-2010, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Peach trees

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back
yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.

Yes except for rare cultivars. Bees also help but apparently some wind
pollination also takes place. You can get many cultivars that vary in
size, time of fruiting, chilling requirement and type of fruit. Look
around for what suits your garden and climate. If you have room for
more than one get varieties that fruit at different times.

I used to plan a visit down to one of the big peach farms in middle
Georgia each year. On a large bulletin board they would have all the
cultivars they had in production ordered by harvest date, and with the
the ones currently being picked marked. It was a long list, and the
reason was to keep their workers active throughout the season.

Here's one:

http://www.gapeaches.com/peachVarieties.htm

The dates will vary by where you are, but the order should be about the
same.

I'm thinking of their freshly made peach ice cream, mmm.... on a hot
hot day.

Jeff

David