Old 13-05-2010, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peach trees

Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back yard. I
would like for it to bear fruit.

Old 14-05-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:28:17 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back yard. I
would like for it to bear fruit.

Peach trees are self pollinating. For the backyard fruiit grower semi
dwarf trees are much more managable than standards.
http://www.answerbag.com/article/How...5/flower-seeds

Old 14-05-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back
yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.

Yes except for rare cultivars. Bees also help but apparently some wind
pollination also takes place. You can get many cultivars that vary in size,
time of fruiting, chilling requirement and type of fruit. Look around for
what suits your garden and climate. If you have room for more than one get
varieties that fruit at different times.

David

Old 14-05-2010, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back
yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.

Yes except for rare cultivars. Bees also help but apparently some wind
pollination also takes place. You can get many cultivars that vary in
size, time of fruiting, chilling requirement and type of fruit. Look
around for what suits your garden and climate. If you have room for
more than one get varieties that fruit at different times.

I used to plan a visit down to one of the big peach farms in middle
Georgia each year. On a large bulletin board they would have all the
cultivars they had in production ordered by harvest date, and with the
the ones currently being picked marked. It was a long list, and the
reason was to keep their workers active throughout the season.

Here's one:

http://www.gapeaches.com/peachVarieties.htm

The dates will vary by where you are, but the order should be about the
same.

I'm thinking of their freshly made peach ice cream, mmm.... on a hot
hot day.

Jeff

David

Old 14-05-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Are they self pollinating? I am considering adding one to the back
yard. I would like for it to bear fruit.

Yes except for rare cultivars. Bees also help but apparently some wind
pollination also takes place. You can get many cultivars that vary in size,
time of fruiting, chilling requirement and type of fruit. Look around for
what suits your garden and climate. If you have room for more than one get
varieties that fruit at different times.

David

I've seen top-worked peach trees in nursery catalogues. Top-working
involves grafting two or more different varieties onto the same root
stock. This allows for spreading out the season in a small space.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 14-05-2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Because some varieties are not self-fertile, if planning to have a
single tree then be sure to get a variety that is self-fertile.
However, even self-fertile varieties usually bear more fruit if a
second variety is available to exchange pollen.

In a pinch, you might cruise around the neighborhood looking for
another peach tree flowering at the same time, and beg a branch from
the owner. Take the branch home and use it to pollinate your tree.

I have a single pear tree (legacy from a previous owner) that needs
this treatment. I don't know what variety it is, so buying another
pear from a catalog is chancy; I could easily end up with one that
does not bloom at the same time as the one I have. What I probably
should do is beg a cutting from another pear in the area that does
flower at the same time.

Una

[IMG] code is On

? about peach trees jojo Texas 12 01-07-2004 09:06 PM
What's wrong with my apple and peach trees Ken Gardening 3 16-06-2003 03:44 AM
Peach Trees From Pits? Jo-Ann Edible Gardening 14 09-06-2003 09:44 PM
Blisters on Peach and Nectarine trees Mark Allison United Kingdom 5 06-06-2003 09:44 PM
Peach trees in Victoria Robin Henderson Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM