Old 14-05-2010, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default How to tell cantaloupe, cucumber and honey dew plants apart

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:29:24 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking
which was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly
aren't. They have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters,
rather than alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves
than cucumbers.
My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

While your cucurbit seedlings may look slightly different (or not) it is
very hard to say which is which unless you have a known exemplar to compare
against, even then they may be so similar that you cannot be sure. There is
no simple rule like 'all cucumbers have a ....." or 'all watermelons lack
....' You will probably have to wait until they grow up when the
differences are clearer.

You should pay closer attention in future as they don't grow to the same
size and you should allow for this when planting if you don't want your
pumpkin to stomp on everything else.

David

With grapes you need to see the flower, the cluster, and the seeds. A
tall order in spring.

When we bought our last muscadines we got them in the fall. We asked
the owner of the nursery about which were muscadines (purple) and
which were scuppernongs (bronze). He said they are out in the side
area and many have grapes on them. So we looked around and sampled
some of the grapes and bought the ones we liked the taste of. Only
way to buy them.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills