Old 14-05-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default How to tell cantaloupe, cucumber and honey dew plants apart

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I planted by seed this year and didn't do a good job of marking
which was which. What I thought were watermelon plants, clearly
aren't. They have leaves like cucumbers but seem to be in clusters,
rather than alternate. They also have stronger points on the leaves
than cucumbers.
My hope is that I'm growing something other than just cukes! Not a
big deal as eventually I will know! It seems like there should be a
cucurbit taxonomy reference, but I can't find it.

Jeff

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber...0Seedling%20Id
entification.pdf

That's good thanks

I agree. Although it is is still damn hard to see the difference
between cucumbers and musk melons! The article is well worth a hard copy.

Jeff

David