Old 17-05-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Mulch shredded newspaper

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"virginia_scout" wrote in message
Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

It's years since I've used it but IIRC, it turns almost papier mache
like when watered unless you mix it with something like shredded
leaves/straw.

That was my experience too, it goes into grey glug if applied alone.

David

The other possibility is to put the paper down in sheets. Maybe tear it
so that it would fit around a strawberry like a bib, or tear the paper
in strips to place between plants.
--
- Billy