Old 17-05-2010, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulch shredded newspaper

Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA
Old 17-05-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
virginia_scout wrote:

Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA

No problem, except it looks like hell. I'd use a top coat of leaves or
alfalfa, or some such. Most newsprint is done with soy ink these days,
including the color sections. You may want to avoid the slick glossy
week-end inserts though. They may not have been printed by the paper. To
be sure, call the paper and verify.
--
- Billy
Old 17-05-2010, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/16/10 6:14 PM, virginia_scout wrote:
Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA

For strawberries, you will have to add a little extra nitrogen
fertilizer. As the newspaper decomposes, it will take up nitrogen from
the soil.

I live not far from the Oxnard plain, one of the most important areas in
the U.S. for growing strawberries commercially. The growers generally
use plastic sheets to mulch their beds. The soil is cultivated to
create long, narrow, flat-topped raised beds. The sheets are put down
on the raised area leaving the lower area uncovered for irrigation. The
strawberries are planted through slits or small holes in the sheets.
The plastic sheets reduce the amount of water required for irrigation.
They also keep the berries clean since they never come into contact with
the soil.

I use the output from my office shredder to mulch my camellia bed.
Camellias prefer a lean (low-nutrient) soil, so the impact on soil
nitrogen from decomposing paper is unimportant. The matted paper blocks
many weed seedlings from sending their shoots into the air. It keeps
the soil cool and moist. My camellias and the azaleas planted in front
of them (also preferring a lean soil) seem to thrive with this mulch.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 17-05-2010, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"virginia_scout" wrote in message
Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

It's years since I've used it but IIRC, it turns almost papier mache like
when watered unless you mix it with something like shredded leaves/straw.

Old 17-05-2010, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

The Carbon/Nitrogen ratio is a good point. Newspapers typically have a
C/N ratio of 175 (175/1). to counter balance this you should use 8.3 lbs
of chicken fertilizer (C/N: 7 - 6) per pound of newsprint. Aiming for an
end C/N ratio of 25.
C/N ratio = C/N(175 + X7)/(X+1) where X = number of lbs of chicken
manure.

C/N ratio = C/N(175 + 7X)/(X+1) = C/N 25

C/N 25 = C/N(175 + 7x)/(X+1)
25X + 25 = (175 + 7x)
18X = 150
x = 8.333 lbs of chicken manure to newsprint
--
- Billy

Old 17-05-2010, 08:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"virginia_scout" wrote in message
Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

It's years since I've used it but IIRC, it turns almost papier mache
like when watered unless you mix it with something like shredded
leaves/straw.

That was my experience too, it goes into grey glug if applied alone.

David
Old 17-05-2010, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
virginia_scout wrote:

Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA

No problem, except it looks like hell. I'd use a top coat of leaves or
alfalfa, or some such. Most newsprint is done with soy ink these days,
including the color sections. You may want to avoid the slick glossy
week-end inserts though. They may not have been printed by the paper. To
be sure, call the paper and verify.

Some of of the larger news paper companies no longer use ink. They use
high speed lasers and burn the letters to the paper. When reading those
papers one gets an ash like substance on your hands instead of ink. many
papers will use ink just on the first page and lasers on the inside.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 17-05-2010, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This was done late.

The Carbon/Nitrogen ratio is a good point. Newspapers typically have a
C/N ratio of 175 (175/1). to counter balance this you should use 8.3 lbs
of chicken fertilizer (C/N: 7 - 6) per pound of newsprint. Aiming for an
end C/N ratio of 25.
C/N ratio = C/N(175 + X7)/(X+1) where X = number of lbs of chicken
manure.

C/N ratio = C/N(175 + 7X)/(X+1) = C/N 25

C/N 25 = C/N(175 + 7x)/(X+1)
25X + 25 = (175 + 7x)
18X = 150

x = 8.333 lbs (3.8 kg) of chicken manure per pound (.454 kg) of newsprint
--
- Billy
Old 17-05-2010, 06:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FarmI wrote:
"virginia_scout" wrote in message
Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

It's years since I've used it but IIRC, it turns almost papier mache
like when watered unless you mix it with something like shredded
leaves/straw.

That was my experience too, it goes into grey glug if applied alone.

David

The other possibility is to put the paper down in sheets. Maybe tear it
so that it would fit around a strawberry like a bib, or tear the paper
in strips to place between plants.
--
- Billy
Old 17-05-2010, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
virginia_scout wrote:

Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA

No problem, except it looks like hell. I'd use a top coat of leaves or
alfalfa, or some such. Most newsprint is done with soy ink these days,
including the color sections. You may want to avoid the slick glossy
week-end inserts though. They may not have been printed by the paper. To
be sure, call the paper and verify.

Some of of the larger news paper companies no longer use ink. They use
high speed lasers and burn the letters to the paper. When reading those
papers one gets an ash like substance on your hands instead of ink. many
papers will use ink just on the first page and lasers on the inside.

Tu me plaisante?
--
- Billy

Old 18-05-2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
virginia_scout wrote:

Mulch shredded newspaper

I was thinking of using shredded newspaper to mulch the strawberry
bed.

Anybody try this? Good idea, bad idea

Bill in VA

No problem, except it looks like hell. I'd use a top coat of leaves or
alfalfa, or some such. Most newsprint is done with soy ink these days,
including the color sections. You may want to avoid the slick glossy
week-end inserts though. They may not have been printed by the paper. To
be sure, call the paper and verify.

Some of of the larger news paper companies no longer use ink. They use
high speed lasers and burn the letters to the paper. When reading those
papers one gets an ash like substance on your hands instead of ink. many
papers will use ink just on the first page and lasers on the inside.

Tu me plaisante?

Please pardon my french No poly vu francais

Old 18-05-2010, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

This was done late.

The Carbon/Nitrogen ratio is a good point. Newspapers typically have a
C/N ratio of 175 (175/1). to counter balance this you should use 8.3 lbs
of chicken fertilizer (C/N: 7 - 6) per pound of newsprint. Aiming for an
end C/N ratio of 25.
C/N ratio = C/N(175 + X7)/(X+1) where X = number of lbs of chicken
manure.

C/N ratio = C/N(175 + 7X)/(X+1) = C/N 25

C/N 25 = C/N(175 + 7x)/(X+1)
25X + 25 = (175 + 7x)
18X = 150

x = 8.333 lbs (3.8 kg) of chicken manure per pound (.454 kg) of newsprint

I love mathematics, especially tensor. However, I am not weighing
anything in regards to my compost piles. In my world, If it stinks - add
straw and turn the pile. If its not heating up - add fresh grass and
turn the pile. My chicken poop is mixed with the straw, Im not
separating or measuring the poop. Especially to a tenth of a decimal
point.

When it comes to composting - you have way way toooo much math
However, I can understand it's late or you have a great sense of humor

Old 18-05-2010, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
virginia_scout wrote:

[...]

Felix Navidad (my cat has a boat;O)
--
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

Shredded conifer mulch Jeff Layman[_2_] United Kingdom 8 30-08-2016 01:36 PM
Shredded newspaper as growth medium Father Haskell Plant Science 1 22-05-2008 08:29 PM
Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
shredded/composted bamboo as mulch David J Bockman Bamboo 0 15-03-2005 02:03 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM