Old 23-05-2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Watering plants with aquarium water

Lelandite said:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I have a 150 and 60 gallon freshwater tanks. I soaked my
plants with about 10 gallons of used tank water today. I
am thinking the nitrates will be very beneficial to the
plants. The tank water has immediately assimilable
nitrogen so that should alleviate the need for chemferts.
Will report back later. Chlorine cannot be good for them
is my thinking and my tanks are chemical free. Ph is about
6.6. Should be good.

Paul

Hi, Paul, and please do check back to let us know how it went.
I only have a 3 gallon fish tank but have wondered how good
it would be for plants. I have used on outside plants but not
sure about my indoor plants.

Way back when, before I had a yard and garden and offspring,
I had aquariums and lots of indoor plants. I always used the
water from aquarium water changes on my plants, and they
were very fine plants indeed.

I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two
are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not
quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all
the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium
water they are missing...

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored