Old 23-05-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Watering plants with aquarium water

I have a 150 and 60 gallon freshwater tanks. I soaked my plants with about
10 gallons of used tank water today. I am thinking the nitrates will be
very beneficial to the plants. The tank water has immediately assimilable
nitrogen so that should alleviate the need for chemferts. Will report back
later. Chlorine cannot be good for them is my thinking and my tanks are
chemical free. Ph is about 6.6. Should be good.

Paul

Old 23-05-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I have a 150 and 60 gallon freshwater tanks. I soaked my
plants with about 10 gallons of used tank water today. I
am thinking the nitrates will be very beneficial to the
plants. The tank water has immediately assimilable
nitrogen so that should alleviate the need for chemferts.
Will report back later. Chlorine cannot be good for them
is my thinking and my tanks are chemical free. Ph is about
6.6. Should be good.

Paul

Hi, Paul, and please do check back to let us know how it
went.
I only have a 3 gallon fish tank but have wondered how good
it would be for plants. I have used on outside plants but
not
sure about my indoor plants.

Donna
in WA 8-9

Old 23-05-2010, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lelandite said:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
I have a 150 and 60 gallon freshwater tanks. I soaked my
plants with about 10 gallons of used tank water today. I
am thinking the nitrates will be very beneficial to the
plants. The tank water has immediately assimilable
nitrogen so that should alleviate the need for chemferts.
Will report back later. Chlorine cannot be good for them
is my thinking and my tanks are chemical free. Ph is about
6.6. Should be good.

Paul

Hi, Paul, and please do check back to let us know how it went.
I only have a 3 gallon fish tank but have wondered how good
it would be for plants. I have used on outside plants but not
sure about my indoor plants.

Way back when, before I had a yard and garden and offspring,
I had aquariums and lots of indoor plants. I always used the
water from aquarium water changes on my plants, and they
were very fine plants indeed.

I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two
are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not
quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all
the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium
water they are missing...

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 23-05-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 23 May 2010 07:36:11 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

Lelandite said:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Aquarium water is no different from pond water... many people where I
live pump water from ponds to water plants during dry spells... fresh
water that supports aquatic life may not be of more benefit than rain
water but it can't harm plants.
Old 24-05-2010, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Lelandite said:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
[...]

You can always set up another tank.

Paul

Old 25-05-2010, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:

I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two
are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not
quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all
the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium
water they are missing...

You can always set up another tank.

Moved on from fish to reptiles. A snake is a MUCH lower maintainence
pet that can actually come out to play (sort of).

But, keeping up tradition, used substrate and poo goes to benefit
my plants--after a trip through the compost pile.

Old 25-05-2010, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:

I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two
are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not
quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all
the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium
water they are missing...

You can always set up another tank.

Moved on from fish to reptiles. A snake is a MUCH lower maintainence
pet that can actually come out to play (sort of).

But, keeping up tradition, used substrate and poo goes to benefit
my plants--after a trip through the compost pile.

Hmmm... A pet snake????
Do you have a tattoo of a dagger on your left leg or a large dragon on
your back? That would go well with a pet snake personality type

I thought about at one time getting a temporary holding lobster tank

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 26-05-2010, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L. said:

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Paul M. Cook said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote:

I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two
are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not
quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all
the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium
water they are missing...

You can always set up another tank.

Moved on from fish to reptiles. A snake is a MUCH lower maintainence
pet that can actually come out to play (sort of).

But, keeping up tradition, used substrate and poo goes to benefit
my plants--after a trip through the compost pile.

Hmmm... A pet snake????
Do you have a tattoo of a dagger on your left leg or a large dragon on
your back? That would go well with a pet snake personality type

*tsk* *tsk* invalid stereotype

I'm more a natural history / bug collecting / birdwatching type.

I thought about at one time getting a temporary holding lobster tank

ooh, lobster! That would be VERY temporary, I bet.