Old 24-05-2010, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default pine mycelium benefits

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Not living in a pine forest we always added what pine needles we could
muster. Recently ( the last 10 years that has increased a lot ). I
sort of have belief that a mix of life is better than a narrow use of
biological compost ingredients. So this would lead be assume a land
rich in chicken or cow manures still would benefit from other once
living things like Green sand, bone meal or granite dust for instance.

Anyway seems fungi may be a good thing to encourage in your garden but
not in your toes or groin. )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycorrhiza

"Plants grown in sterile soils and growth media often perform poorly
without the addition of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to
colonise the plant roots and aid in the uptake of soil mineral
nutrients."

The article does raise the importance of adding mycorrhizal fungi to
perennial plants grown in pots.

Sort of touches on pH as mentioned in another tread I can not fine.

--
- Billy