Old 27-05-2010, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.

Mohfro said:

Hello forum.

This is my frist post and first attempt at growing anything.

Myself and my girlfriend have decided to grow some indoor veg and herbs.
We went for a bunch herbs, like flat leaf parsley, coriander, dill and
mint. We have also planted chillies and courgettes.

All the plants are doing very well, except recently our courgettes. We
have 6 plants and on 2 of them the lower leaves have started to develop
blackish dry spots that feel papery to the touch. It started with one
plant then a week later another plant has developed the same symptoms,
though not as severe. I've searched around and the closest explanation I
can find is that it is blight, but I want to be sure because some of the
descriptions and pictures I've seen don't match up 100%.

That looks like the sort of drying / scorching I get on some of my tomatoes
and eggplants indoors when I have to hold them indoors too long (due to
uncooperative weather).

Possibly more a physiological problem than a disease. Courgettes (squash)
are not indoor plants. Even outdoor it can be a challenge to grow them
in containers. You need a big container and they will have a large demand
for water and nutrients.

If you do attempt to move them to an outdoor space, they will need to
undergo gradual acclimatization to full sun ('hardening off').

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored