Old 26-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.

Hello forum.

This is my frist post and first attempt at growing anything.

Myself and my girlfriend have decided to grow some indoor veg and herbs. We went for a bunch herbs, like flat leaf parsley, coriander, dill and mint. We have also planted chillies and courgettes.

All the plants are doing very well, except recently our courgettes. We have 6 plants and on 2 of them the lower leaves have started to develop blackish dry spots that feel papery to the touch. It started with one plant then a week later another plant has developed the same symptoms, though not as severe. I've searched around and the closest explanation I can find is that it is blight, but I want to be sure because some of the descriptions and pictures I've seen don't match up 100%.

I've included pictures of the leaves in questions in the hope that someone can confirm what the issue is and how to clear the problem and prevent it in the future. I would very grateful if someone could shed some more light on this.

I don't want to lose my babies.

Mohfro
Attached Thumbnails
Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.-p1080770-copy.jpg   Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.-p1080771-copy.jpg   Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.-p1080772-copy.jpg
Old 27-05-2010, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Black irregular dry spots on my courgette leaves.

Mohfro wrote:
[...]

I don't recognise the specific pattern other than to say those plants sure
do look unhealthy. Chillies and courgettes are not indoor plants. You may
find that the plants are so weak from being in poor conditions that they
will be susceptible to almost any pathogen that comes along and possibly
more than one at a time.

Where are these plants growing? How much sun do they get? What is the
temperature and humidity?

David

Old 27-05-2010, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Mohfro said:

Hello forum.

This is my frist post and first attempt at growing anything.

Myself and my girlfriend have decided to grow some indoor veg and herbs.
We went for a bunch herbs, like flat leaf parsley, coriander, dill and
mint. We have also planted chillies and courgettes.

All the plants are doing very well, except recently our courgettes. We
have 6 plants and on 2 of them the lower leaves have started to develop
blackish dry spots that feel papery to the touch. It started with one
plant then a week later another plant has developed the same symptoms,
though not as severe. I've searched around and the closest explanation I
can find is that it is blight, but I want to be sure because some of the
descriptions and pictures I've seen don't match up 100%.

That looks like the sort of drying / scorching I get on some of my tomatoes
and eggplants indoors when I have to hold them indoors too long (due to
uncooperative weather).

Possibly more a physiological problem than a disease. Courgettes (squash)
are not indoor plants. Even outdoor it can be a challenge to grow them
in containers. You need a big container and they will have a large demand
for water and nutrients.

If you do attempt to move them to an outdoor space, they will need to
undergo gradual acclimatization to full sun ('hardening off').

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Light spots on courgette leaves IanM United Kingdom 9 17-07-2008 09:42 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspp Unique Too Roses 7 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk ssspppOOOTTTSSSS!!!!!! Roger Roses 6 12-05-2003 10:56 PM
black spots, Black Spots, BLACK SPOTS!!!!bbbbbblllllllaaaaacccckkkkkk Radika Kesavan Roses 0 11-05-2003 04:44 PM