Old 27-05-2010, 12:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Can seeds be used next year?

On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:22:34 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

dgk said:

I have some left over heirloom tomato seeds as well as a few assorted
vegetables. Can these be used next spring? Even the minimum order of
seeds is far more than I can plant in my little yard.

Most (but not all) types of vegetable seeds can be saved and used the
next year. Some will last for several years.

Here's a list of longevity for "well stored" seeds of various vegetables
(see other replies for storage information):

http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml

Thanks, they should be fine over the winter. I'll buy some other
varieties next year and also seed the ones I have left over this year.
I gave my extras away to a few friends and on Freecycle and there were
plenty of people who wanted some even after I ran out.

It's pretty easy to grow the seeds so my plan for next year is to grow
far more than I did this year, and just give the extras away on
Freecycle. It really doesn't cost much and I have a big bag of potting
soil left over. I guess that will be good next year as well.