Old 28-05-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Bee Happy, Big Lasagna and Free C

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and
some other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is
where I got my garden bricks and stone) I've been pulling up much of
this. There's a bit of wild strawberry and blackberry along the edges I
like. My rough theory is to get rid of what I don't want and add what I do.

Down the street is a vacant block where I've been doing some
blackberry harvesting. No poke salad or mimosa but a lot of blackberry
and some tall (~3') yellow "weeds" with a large head (~8") of yellow
flowerettes branching out from the center.

What interested me here is that large bumble bees were happily
working these flowers. I don't have these in my yard.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking sections of the vacant lot and
turning this into something like lasagna and adding in some bee happy
flowers. The problem, aside from the work, is that I'm awash in green N
and have little C, there is only a Pecan there and little leaf litter.
I'd have to bring it (C) in from elsewhere.

Any rough ideas on how to bend mother nature in a direction more
suitable to me?

On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in
the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff

YOU'RE PICKING BLACKBERRIES ALREADY?!!

That would be right. He lives in Georgia, I live in SW Michigan
(borderline zone 5-6). In traveling, I have noticed with many things
that his area will have them come due approx. 6 weeks before they do
here - blackberries usually ripen in mid-July here. So he's right on
schedule.

Tony M.

I won't see them until mid Aug., here in N. California.
--
- Billy