Old 27-05-2010, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bee Happy, Big Lasagna and Free C

I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and
some other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is
where I got my garden bricks and stone) I've been pulling up much of
this. There's a bit of wild strawberry and blackberry along the edges I
like. My rough theory is to get rid of what I don't want and add what I do.

Down the street is a vacant block where I've been doing some
blackberry harvesting. No poke salad or mimosa but a lot of blackberry
and some tall (~3') yellow "weeds" with a large head (~8") of yellow
flowerettes branching out from the center.

What interested me here is that large bumble bees were happily
working these flowers. I don't have these in my yard.

What I'm thinking of doing is taking sections of the vacant lot and
turning this into something like lasagna and adding in some bee happy
flowers. The problem, aside from the work, is that I'm awash in green N
and have little C, there is only a Pecan there and little leaf litter.
I'd have to bring it (C) in from elsewhere.

Any rough ideas on how to bend mother nature in a direction more
suitable to me?

On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in
the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff
Old 27-05-2010, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

YOU'RE PICKING BLACKBERRIES ALREADY?!!
--
- Billy
Old 28-05-2010, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

That would be right. He lives in Georgia, I live in SW Michigan
(borderline zone 5-6). In traveling, I have noticed with many things
that his area will have them come due approx. 6 weeks before they do
here - blackberries usually ripen in mid-July here. So he's right on
schedule.

Tony M.
Old 28-05-2010, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

I won't see them until mid Aug., here in N. California.
--
- Billy
Old 28-05-2010, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

snip

Jeff
YOU'RE PICKING BLACKBERRIES ALREADY?!!

That would be right. He lives in Georgia, I live in SW Michigan
(borderline zone 5-6). In traveling, I have noticed with many things
that his area will have them come due approx. 6 weeks before they do
here - blackberries usually ripen in mid-July here. So he's right on
schedule.

Tony M.

I won't see them until mid Aug., here in N. California.

Look under the lower branches, many are hidden in the shade. But I'm
getting 2 or 3 cups every 2 or 3 days. I'm loving it!

I might be able to get more, but a half hour or so in blackberry
brambles working up a sweat is enough!

Jeff

Old 28-05-2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

My problem is that half the time the red juice on my hands isn't juice
(
--
- Billy
Old 28-05-2010, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

That accurately sums up blackberry picking.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that I am eating them now. mmmm, plump
and juicy... Trying to save some...

Jeff
Old 28-05-2010, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

There is a place in hell for people like you ;O)
--
- Billy
Old 29-05-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/27/2010 5:53 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and some
other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is where I

snip...

On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in
the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff

No idea what to do with the lot but what is growing there is far more
likely to be poke sallet.
Old 29-05-2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

On 5/27/2010 5:53 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and some
other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is where I

snip...

On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in
the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff

No idea what to do with the lot but what is growing there is far more
likely to be poke sallet.

Young, it's not that bad, but read this first.
http://www.southernangel.com/food/pokesala.html
--
- Billy

Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

On 5/27/2010 5:53 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've been thinking about what to do with the vacant lot across the
street. (Atlanta, Piedmont 7B)

It's currently overgrown with Polk Salad, Mimosa, tall grasses and some
other shallow rooted trees. (It was bulldozed 2 years ago and is where I

snip...
On another note I notice that when picking blackberries that those in
the shade mature first, least along are those in full sun.

Jeff

No idea what to do with the lot but what is growing there is far more
likely to be poke sallet.

Young, it's not that bad, but read this first.
http://www.southernangel.com/food/pokesala.html

So, it's fine eating and if you are very careful, it won't poison you.

There's something in the vacant lot that looks a bit like asparagus, I
might as well try that too, since I'm living dangerously ;-)

Jeff
Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
John McGaw wrote:

[...]

Uh . . .
--
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

happy, happy, happy David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 12-01-2010 06:32 AM
Free Website, Free Domain, Free Installation, Free Scripts hostnomi United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 08:11 AM
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday... Reka Orchids 4 05-04-2003 11:32 PM
Lasagna Rose Beds? Susan Solomon Roses 9 04-04-2003 01:44 AM
lasagna gardening? H United Kingdom 10 18-03-2003 08:44 AM