Old 30-05-2010, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default asparagus - leave or replant?

"Hillfilly" wrote in message

I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but
in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked
then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had empty -
didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I should have
done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart, tops of roots just
under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it properly or just leave
them? They all produced fronds last year which I left, cut down in
autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while others have huge shoots,
one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing what looks like seeds already.
I've been trying to keep the bed moist but it's been difficult in the
dry weather. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated

Leave them this summer and then dig them up and plant them properly when
they are resting which would be whatever time of the year is considered the
optimal time in your area. Here I'd do it in midwinter in June, but I dont'
know what time would suit your area.