Old 29-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Default asparagus - leave or replant?

I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had empty - didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I should have done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart, tops of roots just under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it properly or just leave them? They all produced fronds last year which I left, cut down in autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while others have huge shoots, one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing what looks like seeds already. I've been trying to keep the bed moist but it's been difficult in the dry weather. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated ...
Old 29-05-2010, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hillfilly wrote:
I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died
but in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have
checked then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had
empty - didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I
should have done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart,
tops of roots just under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it
properly or just leave them? They all produced fronds last year which
I left, cut down in autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while
others have huge shoots, one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing
what looks like seeds already. I've been trying to keep the bed moist
but it's been difficult in the dry weather. Any advice on where to go
from here would be appreciated ..

What exactly is wrong with where they are? If it is in full sun and can be
left alone for some years then I would say leave them where they are.
Assuming that you are now going from spring to summer then feed them now
with plenty of organic matter and fertiliser, eg horse and chook manure.
You will have to keep up the water but that would apply where ever you put
them. If you feed them well they will grow 6 or 7 ft tall this summer and
you will be able to cut some spears next spring.

David

Old 30-05-2010, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Hillfilly" wrote in message

I grew purple asparagus from seed 2 years ago, thought they had died but
in spring suddenly found it was still alive in pots. Should have checked
then what to do but just popped them into a raised bed I had empty -
didn't do the trench/root spreading out I now realise I should have
done! There are 9 plants in a block about 30cm apart, tops of roots just
under the soil. Should I dig them up and do it properly or just leave
them? They all produced fronds last year which I left, cut down in
autumn. This year some have tiny fronds while others have huge shoots,
one about 4 feet tall. Some are producing what looks like seeds already.
I've been trying to keep the bed moist but it's been difficult in the
dry weather. Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated

Leave them this summer and then dig them up and plant them properly when
they are resting which would be whatever time of the year is considered the
optimal time in your area. Here I'd do it in midwinter in June, but I dont'
know what time would suit your area.

Old 30-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered User

Thanks David, the bed is very sunny, so I'll get manuring & see how tall I can get them.
Hf