Old 31-05-2010, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Artichokes!

On May 31, 12:34*pm, "mark" wrote:
wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? *They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

That's if they ae Jerusalem *artichokes. Mine are about 9" tall.

mark

I planted some last week end, my first time attempting to grow them.
I got them about 30 cm tall from my local garden centre, and thought:
"why not" (I love jerusalem artichokes). There was about 3-4 of them
in one pot measuring about 15cm across. I figured I should separate
them and plant them individually, but did not dare disturb the very
entangled rootball/rhyzome, so planted the entire contents of the pot
in a single hole.
Should I have separated them, and if so, is it still time for me to do
so? They look quite healthy and are growing happily in my cabbage
patch, or so it seems. However, will their all being in one tight
location impact on tuber production?

TIA
Caít()