Old 30-05-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Artichokes!

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started to
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

Alan

Old 31-05-2010, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started to
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8') stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.
Old 31-05-2010, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

That's if they ae Jerusalem artichokes. Mine are about 9" tall.

mark

Old 31-05-2010, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mark wrote:
Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

That's if they ae Jerusalem artichokes. Mine are about 9" tall.

Well, that's what I sent him. :-)
Old 31-05-2010, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 31, 12:34*pm, "mark" wrote:
wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? *They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

That's if they ae Jerusalem *artichokes. Mine are about 9" tall.

mark

I planted some last week end, my first time attempting to grow them.
I got them about 30 cm tall from my local garden centre, and thought:
"why not" (I love jerusalem artichokes). There was about 3-4 of them
in one pot measuring about 15cm across. I figured I should separate
them and plant them individually, but did not dare disturb the very
entangled rootball/rhyzome, so planted the entire contents of the pot
in a single hole.
Should I have separated them, and if so, is it still time for me to do
so? They look quite healthy and are growing happily in my cabbage
patch, or so it seems. However, will their all being in one tight
location impact on tuber production?

TIA
Caít()

Old 31-05-2010, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking started
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

If you had said 7-8 inch high it would have described the things I have
accurately!

Alan

Old 31-05-2010, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

Some time ago I was sent some artichokes, and I planted them, but
nothing
happened until about two days ago, when something strange looking
started to
appear where I have put them, so is it the artichokes, or some strange
thing
planted buy the tree rats.

I'll just have to wait and see!

What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks
with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

That's if they ae Jerusalem artichokes. Mine are about 9" tall.

mark

Thanks, that is just about right.

Alan

Old 31-05-2010, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 31, 12:34 pm, "mark" wrote:
wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

[...]

Mine grow in a clump about 6ft diameter. Theory being that they offer
mutual support in the wind. The central ones grow tallest and I have
measured one at 12ft 3in. It doesn't seem to impact production but I've not
done a comparison with rows. I have more than enough and production
outstrips demand. I think artichoke soup is the best there is but one can
only consume so much and volunteers for peeling the crop have diminishing
enthusiasm as the season rolls by.

My runner beans are growing over a previous artichoke patch and although I
thought I'd removed all the tubers those artichokes are coming up by the
dozen.
Seems a shame to compost them but there seem to be few takers. How much
would a plant cost in a garden centre if they sold them?

mark

Old 31-05-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 31, 1:54*pm, "mark" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 31, 12:34 pm, "mark" wrote:

wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. I planted mine about 30 cm from my garden fence,
understanding that they need a little support, so glad to hear that
they should be OK in a clump.
I don't peel j.a., I use a scourer to rub most of the skin off them
under a cold tap. It works for me, and it's less fiddly.

My runner beans are growing over a previous artichoke patch and although I
thought I'd removed all the tubers those artichokes are coming up by the
dozen.
Seems a shame to compost them but there seem to be few takers. How much
would a plant cost in a garden centre if they sold them?

I paid €5 for my pot (a bit of a rip off, but I LOVE j.a., so thought,
what the hell...). I would also assume that you can plant a handful
you buy from the greengrocer's? What sort of a crop can I expect from
my small clump?

Caít()
Old 31-05-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 31, 1:54 pm, "mark" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 31, 12:34 pm, "mark" wrote:

wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

[...]

I suppose you'd get about 6 tubers for each one planted, a rough guess. If
you haven't got that many, I'd be inclined to forego eating this years crop
and replant them, that way you'll become self sufficient from one year to
the next.

mark

Old 31-05-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 31, 3:15*pm, "mark" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 31, 1:54 pm, "mark" wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 31, 12:34 pm, "mark" wrote:

That's good advice. Thanks!

Caít()
Old 31-05-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Cat(h)" wrote:
I planted some last week end, my first time attempting to grow them.
I got them about 30 cm tall from my local garden centre, and thought:
"why not" (I love jerusalem artichokes). There was about 3-4 of them
in one pot measuring about 15cm across. I figured I should separate
them and plant them individually, but did not dare disturb the very
entangled rootball/rhyzome, so planted the entire contents of the pot
in a single hole.
Should I have separated them, and if so, is it still time for me to do
so? They look quite healthy and are growing happily in my cabbage
patch, or so it seems. However, will their all being in one tight
location impact on tuber production?

In my (slightly limited but highly frustrated!) experience of jerusalem
artichokes, there is absolutely nothing short of nuking them from orbit that
will upset them or affect their production.

Not only did i dig up all tubers and all bits of tuber and then riddle the
soil the year before last, they /still/ grew an entire patch of the damned
things!! Through and around weed blanket!!!
(the boys dug through them and made a 'den' inside it, which at least made
the patch a little bit productive)
Old 31-05-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Cat(h)" wrote:
I paid ?5 for my pot (a bit of a rip off, but I LOVE j.a., so thought,
what the hell...).

That's a shame - I posted a bunch to whoever wanted any on here earlier this
year, you mustn't have been around at the time. :-(
Old 31-05-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
What kind of 'strange'? They should put up really tall (about 7-8')
stalks with a very small sunflower type flower at the top.

If you had said 7-8 inch high it would have described the things I have
accurately!

Heh, they've got a way to go yet, then. You will be amazed at the growth
rate once they get going. Not quite as scary as hops (I swear I can /see/
our hop plant growing!), but you turn your back for a second ...
Old 31-05-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 31, 1:54 pm, "mark" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

On May 31, 12:34 pm, "mark" wrote:

wrote in message

alan.holmes wrote:

[...]

The very first ones I grew were fron some I bought from the greengrocer!

Alan

Caít()

Artichokes? Jan Flora Gardening 2 22-03-2003 10:56 PM
Have you ever grown Jerusalem Artichokes? Mike Davis Edible Gardening 7 13-03-2003 02:20 PM
Jerusalem Artichokes THECHILLIS United Kingdom 4 08-03-2003 09:27 PM
jerusalem artichokes Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 6 22-02-2003 10:39 PM
Artichokes - What's in a name Dave Hunt United Kingdom 8 21-10-2002 09:38 PM