Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Racquel Darrian Racquel Darrian is offline

Default Rose Clear 3 Banned!

"Martin" wrote in message
On 01/06/10 09:59, Racquel Darrian wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On 31/05/10 18:22, Jeff Layman wrote:
" wrote in message
On 30/05/10 11:38, Martin wrote:
On 30/05/10 10:17, Racquel Darrian wrote:
(snip)

Maybe there are good reasons for banning some of these popular weed
killers, that have nothing to do with organics.

The reason for the ban is that in concentrated form if it gets in the
eyes it can cause permanent damage to the cornea.

There are many ordinary household chemicals used to unblock drains
which
do the same thing, a lot more quickly, effectively, and _very_
permanently. And they have come onto the market in the last few years!

The reason that most of these pesticides are banned is lack of
information. Many tests are required to show that they cause no, or
minimal and acceptable, harm, even if they have been on sale for years.
Anecdotal "proof" of harmlessness is not acceptable to the Regulatory
Authorities; the tests have to be done in a specific way, which is very
expensive to perform. The profit from older products (such as Rose
Clear
3) will be less than it costs to do these tests, so the manufacturers
are caught, as our American friends say "Between a rock and a hard
place". That is the way most of these products are forced off the
market.

The DEFRA website explains why Rose Clear 3 has been banned. DEFRA are
only responsible for the safety of agricultural/horticultural products,
which is why they have no power to ban drain cleaners etc.

But surely if you got Jeyes Fluid in your eyes you would be in serious
trouble, isn't that used extensively as a gardening product?

Is it sold/marketed as a pesticide/herbicide?

Growmore is. If I rubbed it into your eyes I bet you would get permanent eye
damage? ;O)