Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Pigeon scaring

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:08:41 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 02/06/2010 15:58, mogga wrote:
Obviously having three cats has done me no good regarding having the
pigeons chased away ... sleeping in the sun is more popular an
activity than being on guard along my radish seeds today.

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer? I've used cds on sticks
before but before I go raiding the cupboard for old cds .. any other
ideas that might work well?

(I did get a pigeon with the hose the other day, however they are
getting wise to this and scarper when I get the hose pipe near them)

Pigeons are a damn nuisance. They can eat an entire row of brassica
seedlings for breakfast at dawn. The only effective solution I've found
is to lay a net loosely over the top. I just weigh it down with a few
rocks on each side to stop it blowing away. It means removing it now and
then to weed, but at least I have some veg! In principle the pigeons
could just land on top of the net and peck through the little holes but
in practice they don't - maybe don't like to get their feet tangled in
the net? It works anyway. It even deters cabbage white butterflies to a
certain extent too, they seem reluctant to climb through the narrow
holes of the net.

I have some net!
ta
--