Old 02-06-2010, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pigeon scaring

Obviously having three cats has done me no good regarding having the
pigeons chased away ... sleeping in the sun is more popular an
activity than being on guard along my radish seeds today.

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer? I've used cds on sticks
before but before I go raiding the cupboard for old cds .. any other
ideas that might work well?

(I did get a pigeon with the hose the other day, however they are
getting wise to this and scarper when I get the hose pipe near them)
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 02-06-2010, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2010 15:58, mogga wrote:
Obviously having three cats has done me no good regarding having the
pigeons chased away ... sleeping in the sun is more popular an
activity than being on guard along my radish seeds today.

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer? I've used cds on sticks
before but before I go raiding the cupboard for old cds .. any other
ideas that might work well?

(I did get a pigeon with the hose the other day, however they are
getting wise to this and scarper when I get the hose pipe near them)

Pigeons are a damn nuisance. They can eat an entire row of brassica
seedlings for breakfast at dawn. The only effective solution I've found
is to lay a net loosely over the top. I just weigh it down with a few
rocks on each side to stop it blowing away. It means removing it now and
then to weed, but at least I have some veg! In principle the pigeons
could just land on top of the net and peck through the little holes but
in practice they don't - maybe don't like to get their feet tangled in
the net? It works anyway. It even deters cabbage white butterflies to a
certain extent too, they seem reluctant to climb through the narrow
holes of the net.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 16:08:41 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

[...]

I have some net!
ta
Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

If you don't net 'em, you don't get 'em.

Steve

Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:26:17 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 02/06/2010 15:58, mogga wrote:
Obviously having three cats has done me no good regarding having the
pigeons chased away ... sleeping in the sun is more popular an
activity than being on guard along my radish seeds today.

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer? I've used cds on sticks
before but before I go raiding the cupboard for old cds .. any other
ideas that might work well?

I once found that a car makes a quite good pigeon scarer.

I reversed, accidentally, straight over a fat pigeon lurking on the
road. I thought I had had a tyre blow-out judging by the explosion
as he popped.
..
I scared him alright.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:58:56 +0100, mogga wrote:

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer?

Model bird of prey perched in tree nearby? They might get used to a
static model though. So a silhouette of a flying bird of prey hung in
tree nearby? Choose a bird of prey that actualy does take pigeons.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:58:56 +0100, mogga wrote:

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer?

Model bird of prey perched in tree nearby? They might get used to a
static model though. So a silhouette of a flying bird of prey hung in
tree nearby? Choose a bird of prey that actualy does take pigeons.

I made the mistake of laying netting over lawn seed I laid. Not a very
good germination rate. I now know why,looking out the window early one
morning I watched blasted pigeons walking over the netting feasting
happily. So time to re-sow, then stretch the netting over the bed a
little raised me-thinks.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:26:14 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:58:56 +0100, mogga wrote:

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer?

Model bird of prey perched in tree nearby? They might get used to a
static model though. So a silhouette of a flying bird of prey hung in
tree nearby? Choose a bird of prey that actualy does take pigeons.

We've had one of those in the area but it only nibbled at the collared
dove things not these proper 'orrible pigeons.
Not seen feather explosions for a while though so I assume it's gone
away.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 16:26:17 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On 02/06/2010 15:58, mogga wrote:
Obviously having three cats has done me no good regarding having the
pigeons chased away ... sleeping in the sun is more popular an
activity than being on guard along my radish seeds today.

What's the easiest homemade pigeon scarer? I've used cds on sticks
before but before I go raiding the cupboard for old cds .. any other
ideas that might work well?

I once found that a car makes a quite good pigeon scarer.

I reversed, accidentally, straight over a fat pigeon lurking on the
road. I thought I had had a tyre blow-out judging by the explosion
as he popped.
.
I scared him alright.

Many years ago I hit a pidgeon which flew straight under my car, I looked at
the rear view mirror and the size of the feather cloud was incredable, it
covered most of the road.

I assumed it was dead!

Alan

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 03-06-2010, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Broadback wrote:

I made the mistake of laying netting over lawn seed I laid. Not a
very good germination rate. I now know why,looking out the window
early one morning I watched blasted pigeons walking over the netting
feasting happily. So time to re-sow, then stretch the netting over
the bed a little raised me-thinks.

Google or look on eBay for enviromesh insect netting. I've used it
with decent results as the mesh is too fine for the the birds to get
through.

--
Chris

Tomcat scaring fish? Elaine T Ponds 12 26-04-2005 04:09 AM
Blooming Pigeon Orchid bk Orchids 1 11-09-2004 03:53 AM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Pigeon Manure Romy Beeck Gardening 2 06-08-2004 05:01 PM
pigeon problem John Dolan United Kingdom 11 23-04-2003 05:10 PM