Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

Default Rose suggestions

On Jun 2, 1:53*pm, kay wrote:
I'm looking to replace a dog rose with something slightly less vigorous.
Can anyone give me some suggestions that I can go and research? It's
nearly 20 years since I've bought a rose, and I've no idea what's out
there now.

Essentials:

Single flowers, not more than 2 inches across
very fragrant flowers
Capable of being tied into a 2m high fence, without swamping it or
needing major forestry each year.

Nice to have (we'd like at least some of these)

Some other colour than pale or dark pink
scented foliage
Something of interest outside the main *flowering season - either repeat
foliage, or reliable hip crop, or particularly attractive foliage.

--
kay

http://www.classicroses.co.uk or better still get his book of the same
title.
Francis E Lester is one of my favourites for at least some of your
criteria. Some of the Sweet Briars might do but some are a bit to big
for you and most of them have very sharp elbows.

Rod