Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Default Rose suggestions

I'm looking to replace a dog rose with something slightly less vigorous. Can anyone give me some suggestions that I can go and research? It's nearly 20 years since I've bought a rose, and I've no idea what's out there now.

Essentials:

Single flowers, not more than 2 inches across
very fragrant flowers
Capable of being tied into a 2m high fence, without swamping it or needing major forestry each year.

Nice to have (we'd like at least some of these)

Some other colour than pale or dark pink
scented foliage
Something of interest outside the main flowering season - either repeat foliage, or reliable hip crop, or particularly attractive foliage.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

--
kay

http://www.classicroses.co.uk or better still get his book of the same
title.
Francis E Lester is one of my favourites for at least some of your
criteria. Some of the Sweet Briars might do but some are a bit to big
for you and most of them have very sharp elbows.

Rod
Old 02-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Registered User

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire.

As choice of any plant is a subjective one, may I kindly suggest you take a look at Peter Beales website/catalogue Peter Beales Roses - World leaders in Classic Roses
I have no commercial connection but can recommend the company as a satisfied user. Great choice of species/single roses. The canina hybrids being particularly attractive.
__________________
Good growing,

Martin Froggatt
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Froggatt View Post
As choice of any plant is a subjective one, may I kindly suggest you take a look at Peter Beales website/catalogue Peter Beales Roses - World leaders in Classic Roses
I have no commercial connection but can recommend the company as a satisfied user. Great choice of species/single roses. The canina hybrids being particularly attractive.
Yes, thanks, i've already been looking there, and also at peter beales' book, among others.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Thanks - I've already looked at that, particulalry the species rose section.
Quote:

or better still get his book of the same
title.
Yes, I have :-)
I guess I was feeling a bit overwhelmed - not everything is pictured, and reading through all the text for what I'm after is a long job! I was hoping something would spring to mind for someone!

Quote:

Francis E Lester is one of my favourites for at least some of your
criteria. Some of the Sweet Briars might do but some are a bit to big
for you and most of them have very sharp elbows.

Rod
Thanks - I'll look up Francis E Lester, which I've never heard of. The Sweet briars were our first thought but they're not always very exciting in the latter half of the year. The one we have has a very good fragrance after rain, but it does go up to 10 ft or so! And I get the impression from Peter Beales that they don't all have such good foliage fragrance.

Lord and Lady Penzance are the ones with a different flower colour- do you have any experience of either of those? (We already have ?Amy Robsart, white and pink rugosas, and a pale pink rambler with huge clusters of tine flowers in the same area of garden, so I would quite like something different).