Old 03-06-2010, 10:35 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Thanks - I've already looked at that, particulalry the species rose section.
Quote:

or better still get his book of the same
title.
Yes, I have :-)
I guess I was feeling a bit overwhelmed - not everything is pictured, and reading through all the text for what I'm after is a long job! I was hoping something would spring to mind for someone!

Quote:

Francis E Lester is one of my favourites for at least some of your
criteria. Some of the Sweet Briars might do but some are a bit to big
for you and most of them have very sharp elbows.

Rod
Thanks - I'll look up Francis E Lester, which I've never heard of. The Sweet briars were our first thought but they're not always very exciting in the latter half of the year. The one we have has a very good fragrance after rain, but it does go up to 10 ft or so! And I get the impression from Peter Beales that they don't all have such good foliage fragrance.

Lord and Lady Penzance are the ones with a different flower colour- do you have any experience of either of those? (We already have ?Amy Robsart, white and pink rugosas, and a pale pink rambler with huge clusters of tine flowers in the same area of garden, so I would quite like something different).