Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default cordless weedeater

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Chet writes:

Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

I've got the B&D and really like it. Especially appreciate being able to
flip the working end around to do some edging.

It appears all the weight of that B&D is in the business end, not at
all ergonomic

The only cordless tool I've had luck with is the B&D Dust Buster,
still going strong after 10 years. With all other cordless tools (any
brand) I've found them under powered, charge lasts too short a
duration, and battery packs last at best about a year or two even when
not used.

My yard is much to big for a cordless, I'd need at least two on
charge. String trimming is my least favorite chore, those things get
heavy carrying them around in the hot sun and they're very hard on the
back. I can't imagine using a string trimmer that is only suitable
for very light trimming and a charge lasting no more than a half hour
being of any use to me. I'm very happy with my little Echo gas
trimmer... been using it regularly for seven years with no problems...
and compared to the cost of that Toys R Us B&D it's a steal. The Echo
is very ergonomic, is extremely easy starting, and uses very little
fuel... I mix up 1 gallon and it's more than enough for the entire
season for my Echo trimmer and my Echo blower... people forget that
charging cordless battery packs ain't free, and when they no longer
hold a charge (less than 2 years) they can cost almost as much as the
tool to replace, and some are not replaceable.

This is direct from Echo, they can be found for like $40 less
elsewhere... 7 years ago I paid $109 from my local authorized dealer:
http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/Pro...?model=GT-225i