Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default cordless weedeater

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:53:04 -0700 (PDT), Frank
wrote:

On Jun 2, 7:06*pm, Chet wrote:
Looking into a cordless weedeater, I am down to two of them, any users
here have any experience with either the B&D NST 2018 or the Worx GT
model with the lithium battery

* *thanks
* * *Chet

Cannot comment on either but my concern would be cost and
availibility of replacement batteries.
I had a nice combo Homelite? set of hedge clipper and weed eater for
$100 which is what it would have cost to replace batteries from some
obscure internet source. I reluctantly threw out the set.

Same here with a cordless Sears Craftsman 3/8" drill and also a
cordless B&D upright vacuum. The Craftsman drill was a gift I had
never used, never even tried it out. At the Sears store I discovered
that motorized Craftsman tools do not have the life time warranty of
hand tools. It would have cost more to buy two new battery packs than
to buy a whole new drill set, I left it on the counter. The B&D
people told me their 1 year warranty had expired 1 month ago, I was a
month too late... and the battery pack was not replaceable... I tossed
it in the trash. That's when I made up my mind to never again buy
anything cordless... outdoor extention cords are not very expensive.

The next tool I'm looking to buy is a 1/2" impact wrench (to remove
mower blades), it wont be cordless, and I don't feel like investing in
an air compressor so it will be 110v plug-in. I do have a Craftsman
tankless inflator/air compressor; works great for pumping tires, and
says it will operate a paint sprayer... I need to check if it will
operate a 1/2" impact wrench, but doubt it. When the Tractor dealer
services my machines they put the new blades on with an impact wrench,
I can't get them off with a hand wrench... I'd like to sharpen them
myself, I do have a really nice B&D bench grinder.

My inflator/compressor is about 15 years old, is similar to this new
model, but mine is even less powerful; 0.3 horsepower, and 2.2 Amps.
Even though it'll inflate a tire to 100psi I doubt it will operate an
impact wrench.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9&blockType=G9

My mower blades are held with a 27mm bolt.

I've tried to break it free with a cheater pipe and even beating the
wrench with a big hammer, but was only able to break one free once
with the hammer. And it's not easy laying on the ground on ones back
working on a mower deck, can't get much leverage without ones legs on
the ground. I'm sure I need an impact wrench.

I looked at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-9072...85775&sr= 8-6

And these go up to 27mm:
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand...pd_cp_hi_2_img