Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
On 04/06/2010 11:56, ~Brian~ wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:

I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the
tops of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this.
:-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I
always get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Does pinching out the tops actually work? Or do they simply put out more
side shoots?

Yes, and yes. The point is to get more growth (and beans) lower down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.