Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner Beans

I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the tops of
beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged up. Im
using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this. :-)

Cheers ~Brian~

Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article fBnNn.67816$8g7.21113@hurricane,
~Brian~ wrote:
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the tops of
beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged up. Im
using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this. :-)

I use a cage and persuade them to go over the top. The expression
"beans coming out of my ears" is nothing more nor less than the
truth ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

~Brian~ wrote:
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the tops
of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this. :-)

I use a cage and persuade them to go over the top. The expression
"beans coming out of my ears" is nothing more nor less than the
truth ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I use a cage and persuade them to go over the top. The expression
"beans coming out of my ears" is nothing more nor less than the
truth ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

When you say bogged up what do you mean? overgrown with pods?
I have only been growing them for a couple of years and as I see it they
are the least labour intensive veg in the garden if well watered, and I
have not nipped the tops

If you let some of the beans mature and dry them you will have a great veg
(pulse to be more accurate)for thickening stews and casseroles in winter
when things in the average garden are very scarce. Of course you have to
soak dried beans first.

We in our house love any dried bean, boiled and soft, borlotti beans are my
favourite and butter beans , I cannot remember the variety. Use them as you
would potatoes or rice, very very healthy indeed.

My dad used to grow 2 lots of the same variety in different parts of the
garden, the first was for picking when young to encourage new growth and
the other was to leave until maybe 18" long for drying and also for next
years seed.

Nick Maclaren above said it about beans and ears, and I have found it to be
absolutely correct.

A word of warning though, it may get a bit windy in the undergarments!

Hope you get what youre aiming for I have my fingers crossed for you.
PtePike
Old 03-06-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"~Brian~" wrote in message
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the tops of
beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged up. Im
using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this. :-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I always
get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Alan

Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2010 11:56, ~Brian~ wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:
wrote in message
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the
tops of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this.
:-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I
always get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Alan

Thanks Guys :-)

Does pinching out the tops actually work? Or do they simply put out more
side shoots?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:4c08d5a9$0
:

alan.holmes wrote:
wrote in message
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the
tops of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this.
:-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I
always get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Alan

Thanks Guys :-)

Does pinching out the tops actually work? Or do they simply put out more
side shoots?

I am going to nip a few tops out and see the difference between them and
the ones not nipped.
Always like to experiment.

Regards
PtePike
Old 04-06-2010, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

alan.holmes wrote:
*wrote in message
I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the
tops of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this.
:-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I
always get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Alan

Thanks Guys :-)

Does pinching out the tops actually work? Or do they simply put out more
side shoots?

I am going to nip a few tops out and see the difference between them and
the ones not nipped.
Always like to experiment.

Regards
PtePike- Hide quoted text -

In the "Old days" you would sow runner beans, then when they started
to climb you pinched out the tops to keep then short, this gave you
what we called "Ground beans", they would crop 2 or 3 weeks earlier
than those left to climb.
David Hill
Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:

I was wondering what all the thoughts were about pinching out the
tops of beans when they reach the top of the bean poles?
Last year I let them run amok, and they seemed to get really bogged
up. Im using 6 foot poles and would be glad of any advice on this.
:-)

I always pinch out the tops when they get to the top of the poles, I
always get a good crop, more than enough for our needs.

Does pinching out the tops actually work? Or do they simply put out more
side shoots?

Yes, and yes. The point is to get more growth (and beans) lower down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM