Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ******* Grass from Hell

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:25:55 -0400, Tony
wrote:

I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)

In east TN too. Some lawns turn brown in the winter due to seasonal
grasses. Overseed heavily with tall fescue in the fall. Fertilize
it. The following spring it will help shade/choke out the bardard
grass. With fescue your lawn will stay green all winter and still
survive the summer draughts.

There are a few product on the market that will kill certain grasses
within a fescue lawn. But they did not work well with crabgrass,
sometimes laborous hand-weeding is your best bet.