Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ******* Grass from Hell

I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony wrote:
I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)

Looks like bermudagrass. Easiest way to get rid of it is to move.

Or you can nuke it from orbit. (it's the only way to be sure)
HTH :-)

Bob
Old 06-06-2010, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:33:10 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Tony wrote:
I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)

Looks like bermudagrass. Easiest way to get rid of it is to move.

Or you can nuke it from orbit. (it's the only way to be sure)
HTH :-)

Agreed. I'm in middle TN and I find digging out bermuda grass
therapeutic if I'm in a really bad mood and feeling deadly. Doesn't
hurt the grass - nothing hurts the grass.

You can have a garden with it though. Mulching heavily makes it easier
to pull it out of the beds (again and again and again....)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 15:25:55 -0400, Tony
wrote:

I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)

In east TN too. Some lawns turn brown in the winter due to seasonal
grasses. Overseed heavily with tall fescue in the fall. Fertilize
it. The following spring it will help shade/choke out the bardard
grass. With fescue your lawn will stay green all winter and still
survive the summer draughts.

There are a few product on the market that will kill certain grasses
within a fescue lawn. But they did not work well with crabgrass,
sometimes laborous hand-weeding is your best bet.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Didn't mention I've tried overseeding but the bermuda grass always wins.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Didn't mention I've tried overseeding but the bermuda grass always wins.- Hide quoted text -

Use a flame torch to cook it in the rocks and landscape cracks. It
will come back and you need to flame it again, repeatedly until it
gives up. In open soil, use a turbo weed twister. Nothing is faster!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote
Agreed. I'm in middle TN and I find digging out bermuda grass
therapeutic if I'm in a really bad mood and feeling deadly. Doesn't
hurt the grass - nothing hurts the grass.

I think that Jack Handy was really onto something when he said,
"If you ever go completely insane, just try to get a little weeding done,
because you'd be really surprised."

Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Nelly Wensdow" wrote:

wrote
Agreed. I'm in middle TN and I find digging out bermuda grass
therapeutic if I'm in a really bad mood and feeling deadly. Doesn't
hurt the grass - nothing hurts the grass.

I think that Jack Handy was really onto something when he said,
"If you ever go completely insane, just try to get a little weeding done,
because you'd be really surprised."

Uh huh!
Did that really need to be said? I'm not being critical, but are you
sure that the quote has beeen vetted? I mean bandwdth is needed for
important things. too.
--
- Billy
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nelly Wensdow" wrote in message

wrote
Agreed. I'm in middle TN and I find digging out bermuda grass
therapeutic if I'm in a really bad mood and feeling deadly. Doesn't
hurt the grass - nothing hurts the grass.

I think that Jack Handy was really onto something when he said,
"If you ever go completely insane, just try to get a little weeding done,
because you'd be really surprised."

Badly paraphrased from a failing memory; the quote was "If you ever go
temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead,
try to get some weeding done, because you'd be really surprised."

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

The only thing that kills bermuda grass is Roundup - 3 applications, 2
weeks apart. (This is also the dose I use for Poison Ivy). I've never
found anything else that works. I've lived in Knoxville, in SC, and
now in NC. Either you let it take over, using annual rye for spring
color or you kill it, as it kills off fescue.

And bermuda grass and poison ivy are the only plants I use Roundup on.
Everything else, I just pull or damage the crown enought to kill the
plant.

wrote:

I have some kind of grass, maybe something they use in florida? It's
dead brown in the winter, and in the summer it invades everything. It's
in a few places in the lawn but taking over fast. Hardest to control in
the gardens. How to I get rid of this stuff? (wispering, I did try a
grass weed killer but it did nothing.) Pics at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50904614@N04/ and somehow one extra pic
popped in there but I left it to share.

Tony

East East TN zone 6B (but minimum temperature wise I'd say 7B)

[IMG] code is On

I wish the MI 5 would just shoot the bastard already DennisTheBald Lawns 4 09-01-2008 06:55 PM
Not flowering - phal and some evil nasty bastard exotic Dragoncarer Orchids 8 23-10-2005 07:10 PM
Grass from HELL John DeBoo Gardening 10 18-07-2003 05:02 PM
Black brush algae from hell .D.E Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 02-04-2003 07:32 PM