Old 07-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Chris Baker Chris Baker is offline
Registered User

Location: Just outside of Bristol
Wink

Hi Ed,

I liked the following alternative to the base for a shed using a post footing instead of proper small foundations. I think the main thing to consider when just whacking the ground to flatten it out is to take off the topsoil and get to a good hard subsoil underneath then when you then compact the soil down it will compact well, ready for your shed. Top soil is mainly organic material so is quite springy so your shed will be more likely to sink into it. Just make sure you put some kind of barrier between the foot of the shed and the soil.

An article that I read that goes into this in more detail is

Some Top Tips on How to Build a Shed

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
I have just ordered a 5ft x 3 ft pent shed with door on the longer side,
for my allotment.

But how to prepare base? I thinking of just whacking down a few runners?

Looked at loads of articles on google including :

A Storage Shed Foundation That Is Easy To Build

But maybe , this is all overkill ?

What do people with real practical experience think is best way to go?

Ed