Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default I killed my tomato plant

This is a first for me. I planted a yellow pear tomato, and I
remembered reading that you are supposed to plant them deep. It was
about 9" tall to begin with, and I planted it with about 4" sticking out
of the hole. It grew pretty well over the past 3 weeks, and was about a
foot tall. Then it fell over, and started to wilt every day. Today I
finally figured out that the plant was rotting right at ground level.
Evidently the daily waterings were simply too often, and so I killed it
with water. I've never had that happen to a tomato plant before. Then
again, I'm not certain I've ever watered them that often, either.
During the time the tomato was growing, I kept planting other plants,
and so I needed to get the watering wand out every day. Since I already
had it out, I went ahead and got the tomato too.

Now I'll have to decide what other vegetable to put there.