Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default I killed my tomato plant

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:29:33 -0400, Ohioguy wrote:

This is a first for me. I planted a yellow pear tomato, and I
remembered reading that you are supposed to plant them deep. It was
about 9" tall to begin with, and I planted it with about 4" sticking out
of the hole. It grew pretty well over the past 3 weeks, and was about a
foot tall. Then it fell over, and started to wilt every day. Today I
finally figured out that the plant was rotting right at ground level.
Evidently the daily waterings were simply too often, and so I killed it
with water. I've never had that happen to a tomato plant before. Then
again, I'm not certain I've ever watered them that often, either. During
the time the tomato was growing, I kept planting other plants, and so I
needed to get the watering wand out every day. Since I already had it
out, I went ahead and got the tomato too.

Now I'll have to decide what other vegetable to put there.

You can put another tomato plant in, you still have time. I've been
spraying my tomatoes with copper fungicide spray this year to prevent
blight. Last year was a complete disaster in my area (New England)
because of late blight.