Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Potatoes Falling Over

shazzbat wrote:
"Ian B" wrote in message
I mentioned before, I'm growing some spuds for the first time. They're
now a couple of feet tall and there are some flower buds
developing. However today when I went out to look a couple of the
plants have sort of fallen over; they just don't seem to be able to
support their own weight. I can't see any sign of illness; they are
green and healthy looking and unblemished.

Is this normal?

It is if you've had heavy rain :-)

I would lift them upright and earth them up, ie draw up the soil
around the stems so there's only about half as much showing.

I'd do that, but the soil is like thick brown paint at the moment. Yay, the
British summer!

Ian