Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default When's the LATEST I can start tomatoes?

I live in southern Utah, zone 7 or 8.

I started tomatoes a little too early this year (it shouldn't have been too
early, but we had cold weather much longer than we usually do), and by the
time it was warm enough to put them outside, they were stressed to the point
where only about 6-8 out of 200+ made it.

So I started some new seeds a month ago. I planned to put the little plants
outside yesterday, but right before that I went out of town and forgot to
tell my husband to water them. I came home to find a hundred tomato
seedlings flat and dead in their little pellets.

I planted more seeds yesterday. They should be ready to put into the ground
in about a month. Am I just kidding myself, or do people actually start
tomatoes with success this late in the season? I should say that in most
years we don't get killing frosts until October or later, so our growing
season is in fact quite long. Last year, my plants were about ten feet tall
by the end of August, and really too pooped to produce much by then, even
though the weather was still very hot for months afterward. So I am
thinking that we might get tomatoes much later than anyone else, but at
least the plants will still be healthy and producing at the end of the
growing season.

Someone give me some encouragement!
--S.